The Summer Reading Book Discussion for Just Mercy will take place on Monday, August 17th: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Please click the links below for resources related to the 2015 Carolina Summer Reading Program Book:
- Ackland Art Museum Installation: Each fall, the Ackland Art Museum presents a small exhibition of art that relates to themes and issues from the book selected for the Carolina Summer Reading Program. The exhibition is both a setting for one of the student discussion groups and a resource for University courses – especially ones for first-year students – that incorporate the book into their syllabi. The art displayed in this year’s exhibition engages in both direct and indirect ways with Bryan Stevenson’s account of his experiences with the American criminal justice system. Some of the works, for example, offer insight into the lives of individual people like the clients he describes. Several portray or evoke acts of violence against African Americans from the Jim Crow and Civil Rights eras, periods that had significant impact on biases, practices, and policies still in effect today. The exhibit will run through September 27th.
Want to win a UNC Prize Pack?! Here’s how!
From your Twitter and/or Instagram account, post a picture showing us where you’re reading your summer reading book (Just Mercy) with the hashtag #UNCSummerReading and mention @uncnewstudents to be entered into a drawing to win a UNC Prize Pack! Make sure to follow @uncnewstudents to be eligible to win!
- Eligibility: All incoming and current UNC-Chapel Hill students who participate are eligible to win.
- Entry Period: The contest begins on August 11, 2015 and ends on August 17, 2015 at 12:00pm EST.
- To Enter: Follow @uncnewstudents on Twitter and/or Instagram. From your Twitter and/or Instagram account, post a picture of where you are reading your summer reading book with the hashtag #UNCSummerReading and mention @uncnewstudents. The summer reading book must be in the photo.
- Contestants may only use one account per social media site in order to be entered into the drawing. Make sure your account settings are set so we can see your post.
- Prize Winner Selection/Notification: One winner will be randomly drawn from the eligible entries. The winner will be announced and notified on August 20, 2015 at 10:00am EST via New Student & Carolina Parent Program’s Twitter (@uncnewstudents) and Instagram (@uncnewstudents) accounts.